Saturday, March 12, 2022

Dawn At The Alamo

Hello, Dear Ones. It's been a few days since I've posted as I've been a busy gal! We planned on going to San Antonio, Texas to participate in the Dawn At The Alamo ceremony. Mr. Precious is a member of the Sons of the Republic of Texas which means he has ancestors who were in Texas by 1836 and he wanted to experience this. He is a fifth generation Texan. I was born in Alabama but I am a Texan - I've decided! 

Any way, his Sons of the Republic of Texas have a uniform of sorts that they wear at special meetings: gray slacks, blue jacket and a light colored cowboy hat! Well, I couldn't be outdone and made me a blue jean skirt and sewed some pretty lace on my blue jean jacket so I could look Texany!

We love San Antonio and it holds a special place in our hearts as we were married there.
The ceremony started at 6:00ish am. I was up at 4:00 am to get ready. A little too early for me.
Now I knew about the Battle at the Alamo but I did learn a lot while attending. This ceremony is held every year on March 6th as this was the last battle at the Alamo - the day Santa Anna's army overtook Davy Crockett, Jim Bowie, William Travis and many more. The descendants of the people who were killed at the Alamo honor their ancestors by coming a placing a wreath in their honor in front of the Alamo. As this happened, there was a man who played a soulful violin. It made tears come to my eyes.
Here you can see members of the Sons of the Republic of Texas in their cowboy hats. Mr. Precious is in there somewhere.
After the wreaths were placed, men dressed in their period clothes fired their rifles, with just gun powder, up into the air as a salute to all of those who gave their lives for what they believed.
Here are a few snaps to show you some of the happenings. The large picture is my Mr. Precious looking so handsome in his Texas getup posing with the reenactors.
Here we are: me in my blue jean skirt I made (it has embroidered flowers all over the denim) and I found some pretty lace to sew at the cuffs and hem of my jacket. I have my red hat on, it's not a cowgirl hat but it's all I have so I wore it. I bought some new boots! Can you see them?
We went with some of our sweet friends. Don't they just look like the sweetest ones!

What an opportunity to come and learn more about this battle. We came home and watched the 1960 movie with John Wayne - The Alamo. I read it wasn't as historically correct as the Alamo movie made in 2004. I feel another movie night is in line.

Be a bunch of sweeties,                                                                                                                        Shelia :)

I'll leave you with a little Note Song ~

 "Texas , Our Texas "

by William J. Marsh and Gladys Yoakum Wright

Texas , Our Texas ! All hail the mighty State!

Texas, Our Texas ! So wonderful so great!
Boldest and grandest, withstanding ev'ry test
O Empire wide and glorious, you stand supremely blest.

(Chorus)

Texas , Our Texas ! Your freeborn single star,
Sends out its radiance to nations near and far,
Emblem of Freedom! It sets our hearts aglow,
With thoughts of
San Jacinto and glorious Alamo.

(Chorus)  

Texas, dear Texas ! From tyrant grip now free,
Shines forth in splendor, your star of destiny!
Mother of heroes, we come your children true,
Proclaiming our allegiance, our faith, our love for you.
           

(Chorus)

God bless you Texas!  And keep you brave and strong,
That you may grow in power and worth, throughout the

ages long.

 
God
bless you
Texas
!  And keep you brave and strong,
That you may grow in power and worth, throughout the ages long.

 

4 comments:

  1. I love your sweet outfit you sewed for this. How cute you look. Glad you had a great time.
    xoxo Kris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you guys have been having a lot of fun! Our son and his family live in San Antonio and we are planning a visit in a few weeks...before it gets so hot...lol! I love the cute outfit that you made and hubby looks very Texan in his suit and hat..... hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. This must have been a wonderful time for both of you. I love the clothes you made for the occasion, so cute. Even if you've decided to be a Texas gal never forget you are from "Bama!" :)

    ReplyDelete

The Queen

Hello, Dear Ones. I'm sure, just like me, you were all saddened to hear of England's Queen Elizabeth's passing. Her life story w...